3B – Air Quality Challenges: Environmental Compliance, Climate Change, and COVID-19 Safe Spaces
April 28 – Course Agenda
This popular course delivers Canada’s most authoritative guide to complying with federal and provincial rules governing industrial air emissions while mitigating associated liability and nuisance issues resulting from emissions of air, odour, dust, and noise.
As the environment we work in continues to evolve, industry faces emerging challenges with respect to climate change, GHGs, and now ESG as well. Add to this a pandemic of worldwide proportion. This course offers an overview of these items from the current regulatory framework, available technology, and provides insight on how Industry can position themselves to minimize future financial risk.
- Brad Bergeron, Vice President Industry, Senior Project Manager, Principal, RWDI
- John Georgakopoulos, Partner, Certified Environmental Law Specialist, Willms and Shier Environmental Lawyers LLP
- Sarah Pellatt, Senior Air Quality Scientist, RWDI
- Carl Bender, Sales Specialist, MEGTEC TurboSonic Inc.
- Matt Downey, President/Principal, PARKLANE Mechanical Acoustics
- Mike Williams, Vice President Buildings, Principal, RWDI
- Giselle Davidian, Associate, Willms & Shier Environmental Lawyers LLP
- Jacquelyn Stevens, Partner, Willms & Shier Environmental Lawyers LLP
- Nicole Vadori, Vice President, Head of Environment, TD Bank Group
- Joanna Vince, Partner, Willms & Shier Environmental Lawyers LLP
- Annik White, Senior Project Manager, Associate, RWDI
April 28 – Course begins 9 AM
Regulatory compliance update: Air regulation and reporting
Environmental risk and liability management
- Regulatory regime for air, noise, and odour emissions
- Environmental liability exposure
- Managing environmental liability
Speaker: John Georgakopoulos and Joanna Vince, Willms & Shier Environmental Lawyers LLP
Air quality reporting: Programs and changes
- ECA / EASRs – incoming standards and screening levels
- Selecting the right dispersion model for your facility
- Annual reporting requirements
- Review and understand your permit
Speaker: Sarah Pellatt, RWDI
Case study: Ambient monitoring real-time and forecasting
- Field measurements at industrial and construction sites
- Real-time alerts and notifications
- Data reporting, forecasting
Speaker: Brad Bergeron, RWDI
Part A: Impacts on Development and Operations – New Technologies
Applying pandemic lessons learned: Dynamic indoor air quality management
RWDI & ParticleOne will share the approach they have implemented in over 200 buildings to:
- Baseline the viral transmission risk within a shared space;
- Identify key mitigations to reduce risk; and,
- Track the risk on an ongoing basis.
Speaker: Mike Williams, RWDI
Part B: Impacts on Development and Operations – Nuisance impacts: Particulate, odour and noise
Are your business operations causing a nuisance? Review of the legal nuts and bolts
- How is nuisance regulated?
- What happens when someone sues in nuisance?
- Review of key nuisance case law
Speaker: Jacquelyn Stevens, Willms & Shier Environmental Lawyers LLP
Overview of air pollution control technologies
- What is new on the market?
- How to select the most appropriate technology for your application
- Case study: Aligning emissions reduction with cost-effective control technology
Speaker: Carl Bender, Dürr Megtec
Understanding implementation of noise control
- Noise control options
- Factors affecting noise control design and overall project cost
- Recommendations when implementing a noise abatement program
Speaker: Matt Downey, PARKLANE Mechanical Acoustics
Preparing for the future: Climate change, ESG, and net-zero targets
Climate change legal updates
- Recent climate change litigation
- New guidance about assessing climate change related risk
- Ontario’s Emissions Performance Standards (EPS) (O. Reg. 241/19)
Speaker: Giselle Davidian, Willms & Shier Environmental Lawyers LLP
GHG reporting and reduction strategies
- Scope 1, 2, and 3 emissions and importance of each
- Federal (OBPS) and provincial GHG reporting requirements
- GHG reduction opportunities
- Managing supply chain GHG emissions
Speaker: Annik White, RWDI
How will Environmental, Social & Corporate Governance (ESG) affect your company?
- What is ESG?
- Benefits of ESG
- Managing ESG risk and liabilities
Speaker: Joanna Vince, Willms & Shier Environmental Lawyers LLP
Case study: How ESG impacts your business today and tomorrow
Speaker: Nicole Vadori, TD Bank Group
Panel discussion – Preparing for the future: Climate change, risk, and the circular economy
Panelists: Giselle Davidian, Annik White, Joanna Vince, Nicole Vadori.
Question and answer period
Course ends 4:30 PM
8 AM: Registration opens
9 AM: Courses begin
12 PM: Lunch
5 PM: Courses finish