Morning agenda: Begins at 9:30 AM
Overview of waste management regulations – and how to avoid waste liabilities
John Georgakopoulos, Willms & Shier Environmental Lawyers LLP
- Waste terminology – what is “waste”?
- Overview of the General Waste Management Regulation, waste audits and waste reduction work plans, source separation
- Case studies highlighting common waste-related liability issues
Regulations for Ontario waste management and recycling: What’s new?
John Georgakopoulos and Joanna Vince, Willms & Shier Environmental Lawyers LLP
- Waste Free Ontario Act – Continuing to work toward a circular economy
- Finalization and implementation of the Strategy for a Waste-free Ontario
- Role of producers within the developing circular economy
- Role of Resource Productivity and Recovery Authority (RPRA)
The roles and perspectives of the key players:
A municipal perspective
David Walmsley, RWDI
- Data generation and management effort required by the new resource productivity and recovery authority
- The new producer responsibility requirements and 3Rs regulations
- Design and implementation of organic wastes action plan
- Modernization of regulatory compliance requirements
Perspective of institutional, commercial and industrial (IC&I), and construction and demolition (C&D) sector waste streams
Jorden Lefler, Corporate Sustainability Manager
- How will waste management and procurement practices play into new circular economies to come?
- Current construction waste practices: Understanding the roles of suppliers, sub trades, recycling facilities, etc.
- Challenges of getting to zero-waste – information is king!
- Financial benefits of better waste management.
Transitioning to a low carbon, circular economy in Ontario
Chris Lindberg, The Natural Step Canada
- The circular economy imperative and opportunity
- Circular economy examples, strategies and business models
- How the Circular Economy Innovation Lab (CEIL) can help
Q&A for Panel – Moderator: Brad Bergeron
Panel comprising speakers.
12:00 – 2:00 p.m. LUNCH
Waste: Compliance strategies for industry – Complying with existing regulations – 3Rs
Annik White, RWDI
- Guide to Waste audits and waste reduction work plans for industrial, commercial and institutional sectors
- Developing a waste reduction work plan
Complying with the new permitting and approvals regime
Brent Langille, RWDI
- Choosing a waste services organization
- Managing your waste approvals
- Communicating with the Ministry and the community
Case Study: Waste management for a manufacturing facility
Transitioning toward the low carbon, circular economy – A private sector perspective
Darren Fry, Walker Environmental
- Overview of the current state of waste generation, diversion and disposal
- Goals set out in the Waste-Free Ontario Strategy
- Challenges & opportunities
- Examples of the low carbon, circular economy in action
Finishes at 4:30 p.m.